Wednesday, May 28, 2014

From Nature Walks to Lewis & Clark

I highly agree with the Charlotte Mason's approach to Science in the primary grades which focuses on Nature Study.  Exploring God's creation lays a good foundation for future science knowledge. Now that it's nice outside, we go for Nature walks daily.  I typically don't require the kids to journal what they see but we always have good discussions.  I really enjoy hearing the girls make connections to our USA Unit. Here are a few things that Carysse found on our walks -

"Look, there's the Michigan State Bird - Robin!"

"I found a rock shaped like Minnesota!"

While eating lunch, she exclaimed to her sister,
"You just made the shape of Minnesota with your sandwich!" 
Not quite a nature walk finding, but I just had to share. :-)  

"Look, I found a long arm like Benjamin Franklin invented!" 

 They found a small frog during a playdate at a friend's house.  
I'm so glad they didn't inherit their mother's dislike of touching and exploring God's outdoor creatures...I actually moved away from it! :-/.

My girls definitely weren't the first two who liked to explore God's creation together.  Lewis & Clark were two men commissioned by President Thomas Jefferson to lead the Corps of Discovery Expedition through the West.       

We decided to focus on these two explorers for our Montana Unit. 
In Montana, there is a Lewis & Clark...

We also talked about Sacagawea, a Native American woman who accompanied L&C on their expedition.  She greatly helped them as a guide & interpreter all while caring for an infant son...wow! 

God Incident - During that same week, Carysse happened to finish the last book in the American Girl Series: Kaya. The book ended with a write-up about L&C and Sacagawea. I love how the Lord sets up connections in our homeschool! 

Here's an activity that C. enjoyed. 

Montana Unit
Other printables & activities - Discovered Animals, Coloring Sheet, & Fill in the Blank




1 comment:

Stine said...

Great job as usual. Missing my girls.