Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Quiet Time - Misconception #3

Misconception #3 – It gets too boring!
Your quiet time can be as versatile as you allow it. Some days the Lord may have you just pray the Word. Other days singing songs may take up the bulk of your quiet time. Sometimes you may read a whole chapter and other times you may be led to meditate on one verse that’s ministering to you at that moment. Each day can look very different. Be still and allow the Holy Spirit to lead you for that day whether it’s to continue on with your reading plan or go elsewhere.

For example, I have been striving to read a chapter a day of 1 Corinthians for the last few weeks. However, this morning was different. After I prayed for the Lord to put off sinful qualities in my life (eg. self-reliance, distrust, anxiety), I was led to pray that He would help me to put on the fruit of the spirit (love, joy, peace…). Instead of following with my planned reading, the hymn, “All to Jesus I Surrender” immediately came to mind. So I opened my hymnal and sang all 4 verses. Then I was led to read Col. 3. It was so nourishing for my soul.

Of course, I don't always have the time to do all of this. But God seems to use any little effort for my good. So, don’t box your quiet time in! God may be leading you on a new path, a fresh word for that day. May the Lord open our eyes that we may behold wondrous things out of His Word (Ps 119:18) in whatever ways He chooses.

No comments: