Friday, May 30, 2008

Book Quotes

Wow...the book I'm currently reading, Humilty "True Greatness" by C.J. Mahaney, is so real & so convicting.

I just had to share some quotes from the 1st 3 chapters:

* God is decisively drawn to humility. Contrary to popular and false belief, it's not "those who help themselves" whom God helps; it's those who humble themselves. (p.20-21)

* Humility is honestly assessing ourselves in light of God's holiness and our sinfulness. (p.22)

* Though (humilty) shows up in different forms and to differing degrees, it infects us all. The real issues here is not if pride exists in your heart; it's where pride exists and how pride is being expressed in your life. (p.29)

* From my study, I'm convinced there's nothing God hates more than this...there's no sin more offensive to Him than pride. (p.30)

* Pride is when sinful human beings aspire to the status and position of God and refuse to acknowledge their dependence upon Him. (p.31)

* Jesus does not categorically criticize or forbid the desire and ambition to be great. Instead, He clearly redirects that ambition, redefines it, and purifies it: "But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all" ~Mark 10:43-44. (p.43)

2 comments:

Sheridan said...

I really like that last quote. It will give me something to ponder on on the way home.

Tricia Keierleber said...

I just heard Kempton will be our Pastor on Sunday and I am so excited! I wish you and the kiddos could be there too! :)