Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Silencing all Monitors but His

One of my dear friends recently had a baby with special needs.  I wanted to share an excerpt from one of her blog posts.  It really ministered to me...So true. So real. So encouraging.  

"The Lord has put so much on my heart since the last time that I posted that I want to share with you, but I'm just going to share with you what He put on my heart this morning during my quiet time (in the car by myself on the way to the hospital :-).  So, Grace being off of all of her monitors is a very exciting step because it means that she's that much closer to coming home, but I have to admit that it has also been a mortifying experience for me!  For the first 4 and a half weeks of her life I became use to being able to look at all of the numbers on her monitor in order to see how she is doing. I knew instantly what every number and beep meant and it gave me a huge sense of comfort.  Now that she is monitor free, I feel uneasy because I can't see what's going on inside of her.  I'm learning that I'm going to have to trust God to be my "monitor."  I pray that if there is something to worry about that He will make that clear to me, but if my worry is not warranted that He would give me His peace about it.  This analogy reminded me of how we all have "monitors" on...  The things we use as our "monitors" to measure how well we are doing in life could be friends, media, work, ministry, our social calendar, success of our kids, etc...  When one of those "monitors" begins to beep because something isn't right by the world's standards or our own vision/desire we have the tendency to sort of freak out.  I know that before Grace was born, my "monitor" was beeping so loud that it broke my heart when we found out that our babies heart was broken and that she would not be perfect in the world's eyes.  The beeping of my "monitors" meant that our lives would never be the same, we would be "different" than all of our family and friends, etc.  The lesson that God has taught me through all of this is that He is the one who created me, sent His son to die for me (and you :-) and loves me more than anyone else, so I need to take off all of my other "monitors" and let God be my one and only "monitor."

You can read precious Baby Grace's story here. Please say a prayer for the Ross Family.  

No comments: