Thursday, March 12, 2009

Paradoxically Speaking

Paradox - a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.
(paradox. (n.d.). Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1). Retrieved March 12, 2009, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/paradox)

Paradoxes are used quite often in the Bible. They may seem contradictory but, in scripture, they’re absolute truths. For example,

* Being set free in order to be a slave (Rom 6:18, 22, 1 Cor 7:22)
* Losing in order to gain (Matt 10:39, Mark 8:35, Luke 9:24)
* Dying in order to live (Gal 2:19-20, Rom 6:7-8, Col 3:1-4)

Basically, it’s not about what makes sense or is logical. It’s about an unusual & unnatural way of living. To live a spiritually paradoxical life is supernatural; it takes Christ living in you. This type of life takes all focus off self and puts it all on Christ. Matt. 16:25 says that if I try to save my life, I will lose it. But if I lose my life for Christ’s sake, I will find it. So, to lose is actually to gain…and my gain is Jesus Christ! Focus on that comforting paradox today!

1 comment:

SpringSnoopy (Julie) said...

Good examples of paradox!

Another one that also makes me do a double-take is "being content" while "striving for more."