Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Are You Sober?

Your surgeon, your pilot, your taxi driver, your babysitter are all people you definitely would want sober as they serve you. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that not being sober impairs judgment, blurs vision, and slows readiness to respond in a given situation.

But did you know idleness, idolatry, and sin have the same affect on our soul? Our judgment of righteousness becomes impaired. The truth of God's Word becomes blurry and harder to understand. Likewise, we are hindered in our walk and hesitant to respond to circumstances in a Christ-like manner.

That is why the Word reminds us to be sober/sober-minded in order to:

* Be prepared for the day of the Lord (I Thess. 5:2,6).
* Be prayful during these last days (I Peter 4:7).
* Be watchful for the devil's schemes (I Peter 5:8).
* Be hopeful towards the future grace that we will receive at the revelation of Jesus Christ. (I Peter 1:13).

Let each of us trust the Lord to reveal what we must put off and put on so that we can stay sober and glorify Him in our daily walk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You ask a good question.
I do know my judgement can become impaired when I take my eyes off Christ. I become a little "tipsy"!
"Speaking the truth" to ourselves and to each other and committing our thoughts (sometimes drunken thoughts!) to God through Christ is like a strong cup of coffee to sober us up!!!