Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Potholes & Tests

Living in MN, I have to get used to potholes. They’re everywhere; I’m guessing the snow, salt and oil from the cars take a toll on the pavement. Anyway, no matter how hard I try to avoid them, I still hit them! When I think I’m dodging a big one, I fall into a smaller one that I didn’t see. Wow, isn’t that how the Christian life is sometimes?!?!

You think you’ve been doing all you can to avoid old sin patterns, idolatry, & conflict then a “pothole” comes and you get off track. You become frustrated, aggravated, and irritated. Why are there so many potholes in life? Scripture gives us insight on the answers. The clearest answer I see is that many of our issues are only tests.

God tests us to see what’s in our hearts. To be tested by God is a good thing! Psalm 11:5 says, “The Lord tests the righteous…” For example, God tested Abraham to see if he would sacrifice his only son (Genesis 22:1-19). He passed the test with the assurance of the LORD saying, “Now I know that you fear God…” (v.12). God is all about the condition of our hearts. Our responses & reactions to tests reveal the good & evil in our hearts. Your heart is God’s target (Psalm 7:9, Jeremiah 11:20).

So, don’t be alarmed; don’t let the potholes in your life give you the pits. They’re just tests. You should expect them. Trust the Lord and rely on His strength to endure the hardships. God uses these tests to produce endurance and spiritual maturity in us (James 1:3-4). As a result, may He say to you, “Now I know that you fear God!”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good words, sister.
I say, "I want to be like Job ..., but I don't really want to have his trials."
I'm just not a big fan of "pot holes" and I don't always like what my heart reveals!
But as James 1:4 reminds us,
"And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."
(Easier said/read than done.)

mom of 3, hater of cheese and birds said...

What a timely post - there are layoffs going on all over Houston these days, including at CBS!