Monday, August 11, 2014

Sorrowfully Shining the Light

God has been so faithful in blessing my family with joy, hope, and peace as we grieve the loss of my dear father.  Although we are very sorrowful, we are also rejoicing in God's goodness.
As I mentioned in the previous post, my dad fulfilled the purpose that the Lord had for him.
And he would want me to fulfill my ultimate purpose to shine the light of Christ in this very dark world.  Darkness is in Every. Corner. Of. The. World.  My dad is actually the privileged one because he gets to be with the Savior now while the rest of us believers wait for the day when we will be with our God and "he will wipe away every tear from our eyes, and death shall be no more, neither morning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away" (Revelation 21:4). Until then, I strive to shine the light of Christ in my tiny corner of this fallen world.  As I home educate my children, I desire to more intentionally point them to The Light of the World - Jesus!

North Carolina Unit
Speaking of light in the darkness, our recent North Carolina Unit was focused on lighthouses. The tallest lighthouse in the US is located in NC - the Cape Hatteras Light. We started this unit by discussing John 8:12 and listening to the Seeds Family Worship song based on John 8:12.  By the way, we LOVE the Seeds Family Worship songs!  If you haven't heard of them, check them out! It's definitely not just for kids; my hubby & I enjoy singing these great truths as well.  

We read this nonfictional story of bravery about a teenage girl named Abbie Burgess who tended a lighthouse for a month by herself.  Her father, the head keeper of the lighthouse, was away from the island getting supplies and her mother was very ill at that time. 
Then, Carysse completed this Graphic Organizer about Abbie while Kalia did a Color by Number Lighthouse

We culminated our unit by making these lighthouses. Thanks Mom for the red cups! :-) 

This Little Light of Mine, I'm gonna let it shine! 



No comments: