My husband spoke at the Children Desiring God Conference that was held in March. He started by sharing "The Ten Reasons why he should not be one of the keynote speakers”. Here's what he shared:
1. I was born to parents (whom I love) who were both drug addicts/alcoholics.
2. I was orphaned and raised by my great aunt.
3. I was raised in East St. Louis, IL (with a national reputation as the worst, most dangerous city in America).
4. I lived a filthy life of sinful, wild rebellion.
5. I have been arrested for stealing.
6. I grew up with a slurred speech impediment and learning disabilities.
7. I have no seminary degree!
8. I have hurt many people in my life because of my sin, including those whom I love the most.
9. I am still plagued by remaining pockets of the lust of my flesh, lust of my eyes, and the pride of life - in my heart!
10. I feel like the chief of sinners among us...really! = I should not be here.....BUT GOD, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved me, even when I was dead in my trespasses and sins, made me alive with Christ—by grace I have been saved!
...Do you hear me?..I should NOT be speaking to you... BUT GOD chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And BECAUSE OF HIM I am in Christ Jesus, who is my wisdom, my righteousness, my sanctification and my redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast (not in Kempton) but, in the Lord Jesus Christ.”