Monday, April 6, 2009

Freedom Bounds

Speaking of crayons, I remember how much I liked to color as a child. Now that I have young children, I get an “excuse” to color again :-). Staying in the lines was a big deal to me. I actually liked having those boundary lines which helped me to have a beautiful picture in the end. Many people have a negative view of boundaries. They see them as enslavement, restraints, & limitations. However, good boundaries are set so we can grow, thrive, and be safe which actually produces freedom. That’s what I’m reminded of when I read Psalm 16:5-6.

I enjoyed reading various commentaries on these verses. Many have expounded on them, but they all come to the same conclusion which I've summed up to --God is worth gaining, He is the One that sustains, and He is ALL that is needed!
For example, David (the psalmist) said, “The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot” (v.5). He means that God is all that he desires and needs. God is his chosen part. In Christ, all his joy, contentment, & comfort are found.
David also said, “The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance” (v.6). He is referring to the lines that God used to divide the land for the Israelites (Numbers 26:55-56). His “boundary” lines fell on a pleasant, desirable part and his beautiful inheritance is the Lord!

If you are a child of God, you have these same blessings (Eph 1:3-14)! Yes, there are boundary lines in Christ. However, these lines help us to put on the works of the Spirit & put off the deeds of the flesh. Only in Christ’s freedom bounds, can we fully obey Him, enjoy Him, and delight in His presence.

May these truths encourage you to look to Jesus during this Holy Week. He died so that you could live, and now you have a beautiful inheritance…YES INDEED!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Caryn, for this timely reminder. As we struggle through my husband's recent job loss, it is good to be reminded that God's plans are for our good. Erica