As a Mom of a Child with Special Needs ~
1) Love is unconditionally selfless like Christ - even if I’m still changing the diapers of my 5½ yr old and may be for his lifetime.
2) Joy is lasting gladness in Christ – even if my child has a seizure after celebrating one year seizure free.
3) Peace is calm assurance of Christ – even if I don’t know if my child will live to be an adult.
4) Patience is steady endurance from Christ – even if I have been working on my child feeding himself for 4 years.
5) Kindness is sweet tenderness of Christ – even when my child’s behavior is out of control.
6) Goodness is unwavering righteousness through Christ – even when I feel like I have a right to live in despair.
7) Faithfulness is constant allegiance to Christ - even when I’m tempted to have a “What about him” attitude.
8) Gentleness is humble meekness of Christ - even when I feel like I’ve had enough.
9) Self-control is restraining impulses through Christ - even when I feel like verbally lashing out to those who may stare, say ignorant things, or treat my child unkindly.
Praise God for his indwelling Spirit that works in us (Phil 2:13). I thank God for what He has taught me and continues to teach me on this journey of having a child with special needs. I am learning the secret of contentment… it’s ALL about Christ’s strength (Phil 4:11-13).
May the fruit of God’s Spirit be evident in you this Thanksgiving Season. May you walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God (Col. 1:10).