Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Freedom Journal - Section 1

My freedom journal, as I mentioned in a previous post, is simply a 2 ring notecard keeper with 4 color coded sections. Today I'll talk about the first section. In this section, I wrote 3 different types of verses. Here's a description -

1) Verses pertaining to Christ satisfying me; such as Psalm 90:14, Matthew 5:6, Psalm 103:2,5.

2) Verses pertaining to Christ being the provider of good things; such as Psalm 34:8-10, Psalm 84:11, 85:12, Psalm 31:19.

3) Verses pertaining to God's Word being my food and God being my portion; such as John 6:35, Job 23:12, Matthew 4:4, Psalm 16:5-6, Romans 14:17.
We are to "present our bodies as a living sacrifice holy and acceptable to God, which is our spiritual worship. We are not to be conformed to this world, but be transformed by a renewal of our mind, that by testing we may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect" (Romans 12:1-2). Basically, in order for an ex-glutton to be holy and acceptable to God, we must allow the Lord to transform our mind. It's like having a spiritual surgery on our minds; think of it as a brain transplant. God has to remove our old ways of thinking and responding to food and fill us with His truth. This is certainly not an easy process! It's painful and gruesome! You may even shed some tears (I have!); but if you press through; it's SO worth it or should I say, Christ is worth it! Only then, can we discern God's good, acceptable, and perfect will.

Therefore, I had to start my journal with the previously mentioned verses. I had to learn that food has never and will never give me lasting satisfaction. Only Christ can! On another note, if you've been a glutton as long as I was, you've most likely fell for the same lies as I have. The lies like - "I can't say no; it's too good!" or "If I don't eat it, I'll be missing out on something good!" For example, I'd feel like I was missing out on something good if I didn't...
1) Get a candy bar at the grocery store register.
2) Eat every food sample that was offered to me at Sam's or Costco.
3) Try every food that was available at a get together or church event.

So, I desperately needed to record and memorize verses about God giving me good things and being my portion. Now when I encounter one of these tempting situations, I strive to recall these verses. I certainly haven't been perfect in this area, but God's strength through His Word has empowered me to please Him more consistently.

"Let us thank the Lord for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man! For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things" (Psalm 107:8-9). Praise the Lord for His truth!

No comments: