Wow...the book I'm currently reading, Humilty "True Greatness" by C.J. Mahaney, is so real & so convicting.
I just had to share some quotes from the 1st 3 chapters:
* God is decisively drawn to humility. Contrary to popular and false belief, it's not "those who help themselves" whom God helps; it's those who humble themselves. (p.20-21)
* Humility is honestly assessing ourselves in light of God's holiness and our sinfulness. (p.22)
* Though (humilty) shows up in different forms and to differing degrees, it infects us all. The real issues here is not if pride exists in your heart; it's where pride exists and how pride is being expressed in your life. (p.29)
* From my study, I'm convinced there's nothing God hates more than this...there's no sin more offensive to Him than pride. (p.30)
* Pride is when sinful human beings aspire to the status and position of God and refuse to acknowledge their dependence upon Him. (p.31)
* Jesus does not categorically criticize or forbid the desire and ambition to be great. Instead, He clearly redirects that ambition, redefines it, and purifies it: "But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all" ~Mark 10:43-44. (p.43)